About Our Farm

Community Supported Agriculture in Rockport Massachusetts

ABOUT OUR FARM

SINCE 1838

The farmland was purchased by Andrew Lane in the early 1800’s and at the time was known as the Davis Pasture. The exact acreage is unknown but it was believed to have been approximately 2000 acres, all around the south end of Rockport. The original barn was moved to the property from a farm on what is now known as Jerden’s Lane. By assessing the architecture of the barn, it appears to have been built around the late 1700’s. The original barn is still standing and is currently used as a tool shed. A new asphalt shingle roof was put on in 2012, replacing the older metal roof. Under the metal roof is believed to have been some of the original cedar shingles from when the barn was moved to the property and repaired. The house was built in 1838 and the large cow barn followed. A small farm store was added onto the house in 1914, in which the farm’s vegetables, homemade ice cream, milk, candy and a variety of other items were sold.

Early on in the farm’s existence, a milk route was established. In the old days, milk was transported in a large milk can on a horse-drawn wagon and a dipper was used to measure the amount of milk a customer purchased. The cows were here until Charlie Lane sold them in 1972 and converted the business to a horse boarding facility. At Charlie’s death in 2008, his grandson Ken and wife Regina (click here to view video) moved from their beloved home in Florida to run the farm and keep the family tradition alive.

After Ken assumed control, the farm continued exclusively as a boarding facility until 2011, when a beef cow and calf were purchased.  This began Seaview Farm’s expansion into the grass-fed beef business. Vegetables were also re-introduced to the farm, and the farm store was re-opened–in its original space–for the first time since its closing in the 1930’s.

The farm has been a great fit for Ken as his background includes a high school education at Essex “Aggie” where he took animal nutrition and management, and became an FFA member. Ken also took post-graduate classes at the “Aggie” in farm management. He went on to college majoring in business at Columbia Greene College in Hudson NY.

For Ken and Regina, It has been a challenge and an honor to run the family farm these past years. They are excited to continue the family tradition of offering healthy, sustainable food for all to enjoy. The Lane family thanks all of its patrons for helping to keep the farm going from the 1800’s to now and ensuring that this wonderful family tradition is kept alive!